top of page


Are you applying for the Green Card? Locate a USCIS Designated Civil Surgeon.

Updated: Sep 20, 2023

Doctor Medico USCIS

Locate a USCIS Designated Civil Surgeon.

When you apply for a Green Card (adjustment of status) in the United States, you must undergo a medical examination. The examination must be conducted by a doctor designated by USCIS. USCIS authorizes certain doctors (known as civil surgeons) to perform the required immigration medical examination for most Green Card applicants. Military service doctors are authorized under a general designation as civil surgeons to conduct immigration medical examinations at military facilities within the United States for U.S. veterans, U.S. military members, and designated dependents.

In addition, some adjustment of status applicants only requires the vaccination portion of the immigration medical examination. Refugee applicants may visit the local health department to consult a doctor designated as a civil surgeon by the health department. These designated civil surgeons are NOT listed on the USCIS civil surgeon list, but they are authorized to conduct the complete examination or portions of it.

Immigration medical examinations conducted outside the United States must be performed by a panel physician. Panel physicians are different from civil surgeons and are designated by the Department of State. Panel physicians conduct the required immigration medical examinations as part of the visa process at the U.S. embassy or consulate abroad and cannot conduct the examination for adjustment of status applicants with USCIS.

What to Present for the Exam:

Bring the following for your immigration medical examination:

  1. Form I-693, Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record.

  2. Government-issued photo identification, such as a valid passport or driver's license. If you are 14 years old or younger, provide identification showing your name, place and date of birth, and the full names of your parents. Possible forms of identification include your birth certificate (with English translation) or an affidavit.

  3. Vaccination or immunization record (such as DT, DTP, DTaP, Td, Tdap, OPV, IPV, MMR, Hib, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, varicella, pneumococcal influenza, rotavirus, and meningococcal disease, and COVID-19).

  4. Health insurance card. You should inquire if the civil surgeon accepts your health plan for the immigration medical examination. Many health insurance plans do not cover all parts of the examination.

  5. Payment (verify with the civil surgeon's office about acceptable forms of payment). It can be helpful to call several civil surgeons to inquire about the cost of the immigration medical examination. Prices can vary by hundreds of dollars.

During the Exam:

The immigration medical examination includes a medical history report and a physical examination. The civil surgeon will conduct a comprehensive examination that includes a medical history report and a physical examination. The civil surgeon will also conduct tests for contagious diseases such as tuberculosis, syphilis, and gonorrhea, as required by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), depending on your age. The CDC sets the requirements for immigration medical examinations in the Technical Instructions for Civil Surgeons | CDC.

After the immigration medical examination, the civil surgeon will complete Form I-693 and hand you the form in a sealed envelope, which you must submit to USCIS. Make sure to receive a copy of the completed Form I-693 for your personal records before the civil surgeon seals the envelope. USCIS will not accept the form if the envelope has been opened or tampered with.

7 views0 comments


bottom of page